- The course Academic Writing in English and Presentation Skills targets PhD students in psychology and is aimed at developing academic writing and presentation skills that are necessary for publishing articles and teaching in the English-speaking academic environment.
- Identifying different academic texts types
- interpreting and critically evaluating a variety of academic texts in English in the field of psychology (book report, literature review, abstract, research paper)
- ability to use vocabulary, punctuation and structures appropriate to academic language
- to produce texts satisfying the standards of academic English and American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines.
- to use different systems of style and reference
- design and layout skills suitable for presentations and posters.
- to develop a clear and coherent argument on the research topic
- to identify and correctly target the potential audience by choosing appropriate style, vocabulary, and level of formality
- to develop efficient planning, pre-writing, drafting, and editing techniques
- identifying and implementing the basic writing strategies and standards of English academic writing in the style of a research paper, including argumentation structure, psychological data presentation, compositional, rhetoric, stylistic, verbal, and grammatical devices
- identifying and implementing the basic writing strategies and standards of English academic writing in the style of an abstract, including argumentation structure, psychological data presentation, compositional, rhetoric, stylistic, verbal, and grammatical devices;
- to prepare curriculum vitae, cover letter, research statement.
- General issues in Academic Writing
- Vocabulary, grammar and punctuation
- APA style sheet
- Abstract writing.
- Preparing a research paper
- Preparation of Poster and Oral presentations
- Preparation of other academic documents
- Abstract writingPreparing an abstract appropriate for an international conference in Psychology
- Abstract proofreafingFinding and fixing errors typical for non-native speakers of English
- Peer-reviewingPeer-reviewing your classmate’s abstract
- Final assessmentPoster presentation – 5-7 min
- 2023/2024 1st semester0.35 * Final assessment + 0.35 * Peer-reviewing + 0.1 * Abstract proofreafing + 0.2 * Abstract writing
- Academic writing for graduate students : essential tasks and skills, Swales, J. M., 2012
- Writing academic English : level 4, Oshima, A., 2006
- Academic writing for graduate students : essential tasks and skills, Swales, J. M., 2004