The1st academic year
During the first academic year the student will meet the doctoral commission 3 times per year, the first for the approval of the research’s topic (January/February), the second is a meeting of the Spring Assessment, where the candidate will show the progress made till that period (usually in June) and the last is for the approval of having passed the year and in that meeting the student will bring the chapter/s done and reviewed with the Supervisor.
In the first year of the Doctoral programme, each candidate have to pass two state exams: foreign language and Philosophy of Science (lessons for preparing both of these exams are given by the university to prepare the students as well as possible). Also the seminars conducted during the year will have an evaluation (the method is selected by the professor of the course).
1. Foreign language (English, German, French or Spanish). For international students we recommend to attend the Russian language course: https://www.hse.ru/en/rfl/. Before the State exam each student translates scientific articles, makes a presentation and prepares a report on dissertation issue.
2. History and Philosophy of Science. Before the State exam each student writes an abstract on the history of the dissertation issue
3. Theory and methods of contemporary historical knowledge
Optional courses (3 out of 5)
1. Contemporary historiography
2. Theory and practice of historical reconstructing
3. Theory and practice of analysis of historical sources
4. Academic writing
5. Course of another Doctoral Programme
The 2nd academic year
In the second year the State exam that has to be passed is the exam of Special Discipline, and, as for the first year, the seminars conducted will be evaluated. Moreover students attend a mandatory course “University teaching”.
The 3rd academic year
The third year is basically dedicated to the research, writing, and editing of the Doctoral thesis, which will be defended at the end of October.
During training students attend the Research seminar and have the teaching field experience and the research field experience.
At the end of the third year of study, the state final certification is conducted.