• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site
Academic Mobility

Internship Mobility

Doctoral schools provide an opportunity to international doctoral students to undertake part of their study or research at HSE.

Research stays involve conducting research, receiving guidance from an academic supervisor employed at HSE and participating in all academic events held at HSE.

Study stays involve not only academic supervision and research activities but also an opportunity to take classes at HSE.

Visiting Research students should be current PhD students at another institution.

 Steps to apply

1. Choose your programme (study stays) or potential doctoral supervisor (research stays).

Who is a doctoral supervisor and how do I find one?

Your doctoral supervisor will be an HSE academic staff member who has experience in your specific field and who will act as your academic mentor.  The first step in applying is to identify the doctoral school is relevant to your proposed research topic. Then, through the programme and school that it is connected to, you will be able to identify a potential supervisor (in the case of  research stays).

All HSE academics have their own pages on our website which feature their research interests and publications. Academic staff welcome enquiries from potential doctoral students, so you are free to contact them by  email. 

We would recommend that you send a short summary of your research interest to the Director and the manager in your chosen Doctoral  school . They will then forward your email on to the most appropriate academic. 

2. Contact the manager of the doctoral school and email them the following documents:

  •  Application_form
  • Approval of the potential doctoral supervisor at HSE (in the case of research stays)
  •  Reference from the academic supervisor at your home university
  •  CV 
  •  Plan for your stay at HSE:

      Internship_research         Study stay 

The plan is coordinated with the Head of the Doctoral  school and potential doctoral supervisor (in the case of  research stays)  by email.

In order to visit HSE, you will need a study visa. Applications for academic visits are accepted throughout the entire academic year, but bear in mind that you will need around 2 months to obtain a Russian visa.

Registration Fee

Research stay – 250 euro for the entire visit, paid in roubles at the exchange rate on the day of payment.

Study stay – 500 euro per month, paid in roubles at the exchange rate on the day of payment.

NOTE: Doctoral students from the universities that have signed a partnership agreement with HSE do not have to pay the registration fee.


You must sign the agreement and pay the registration fee no later than the date of your arrival.

On the day of your arrival, you must also send a scan of your migration card and visa to the following email: visa-registration@hse.ru


You will be granted a place in one of university dormitories for the entire duration of your stay at HSE.

You are responsible for paying all the accommodation fees.